Macanta Investments LLC is the primary investment vehicle for Terence M. (Terry) O’Toole and his family.
The word Macanta comes from the Irish language, reflecting Terry’s heritage. Macanta translates as honest, sincere, and equitable. We believe in these values and embody them in the way we conduct business.
Terry has been an investor, primarily in private companies, since becoming one of the founders of the Principal Investment Area (“PIA”) at Goldman, Sachs & Co. in 1989. He became a Partner at Goldman Sachs in 1992, served on the Investment Committee of Goldman Sachs from 1992 until 2004, and was the Chief Operating Officer of PIA upon his retirement in 2004. He served as a director on the boards of PIA private companies and companies listed on the New York Stock Exchange and the NASDAQ.
In 2005, Terry joined Tinicum Inc. as the Co-Managing Member of Tinicum Capital Partners II LP (“TCP II”), a $1 billion private investment partnership based in New York. In 2012, he became the Co-Managing Member of Tinicum LP (“TLP”), a $1.5 billion private investment partnership. TCP II and TLP invest in private companies and in public securities.
In 2016, Terry established Macanta Investments to consolidate his family’s direct investing activity. In 2017, he co-founded Fremont Macanta LLC, a joint venture with San Francisco based Fremont Group, the family office of the Bechtel family. Fremont Macanta seeks to be a long term owner of high quality business.
Terry received a BS in Economics in 1980 from Villanova University, where he graduated Summa cum Laude, and an MBA in 1983 from the Stanford University Graduate School of Business, where he was named the Henry Ford Scholar as the top student in his class. Terry served as the Chairman of the Board of Trustees at Villanova from 2011 to 2012, and served as the Co-Chair of Villanova’s $750 million capital campaign, which closed in May 2018. He received an honorary Doctor of Commercial Science degree from the University in 2018.
Terry and his wife, Polly, have established the O’Toole Family Foundation as their primary philanthropic vehicle. Among its principal causes, the Foundation supports education, including through a $10 million gift to Villanova to create the O’Toole Presidential Scholars targeting deserving students in the Archdiocese of Newark, NJ.
Throughout his career, Terry has served on corporate and non-profit Boards in various roles:
Current at Macanta Investments:
- Peak Media Properties LLC
- Fremont Macanta LLC
- Alegacy Equipment LLC
Former at Tinicum:
- Enesco Holdings LLC
- New Publishing Holdings, Inc.
- Ashby Street Outdoor LLC
- Liberman Broadcasting Inc.
- R360 Environmental Services Inc.
- Skyway Towers LLC
- Pontos Aqua Holdings LLC
- Skyway Towers II LLC
- Forum Energy Technologies (NYSE listed FET)
Representative Boards at Goldman Sachs:
- Chair, Amscan Holdings (now Party City)
- Orion Power Holdings (NYSE)
- Voicestream (NASDAQ)
- Western Wireless (NASDAQ)
- AMF Bowling (NYSE)
- 21st Century Newspapers Inc.
- Alliance Broadcasting LP
- NextMedia Inc.
- Concentric Networks Inc.
- Insilco Corporation (NASDAQ)
- RH Donnelley Corp. (NASDAQ)
National September 11 Memorial and Museum
- Member, Board of Trustees 2019 (current)
New Jersey Pandemic Relief Fund
- Member, Board of Directors 2020-2021
- Co-Chair, Capital Campaign 2012-2018
- Chair, 2011-2012
- Member, Board of Trustees 2002-2012
- Vice Chair, 2009-2010
- Chair, Investment Committee 2005-2010
Hospital for Special Surgery, New York
- Member, Board of Trustees 2016 (current)
- Co-Chair, Development Committee
- Member, Executive Committee
US Squash, 2011-2019
- Member, Board of Trustees
- Chair of Finance Committee
Pingry School, Martinsville, NJ
- Member, Board of Trustees 2005-2011
- Chair of Investment Committee 2006-2009
Stanford University Graduate School of Business
- Member, Dean’s Advisory Council 2007-2012
- Chair GSB Trust 2005-2006
- Member, GSB Trust 2001-2006
Goldman Sachs Foundation
- Investment Committee Member 2009-2010